The new European Parliament has just started its new mandate and the new European Commission is not yet in
place. It is an excellent time to assess past policies and reflect on what is needed for the future, with those
who have concrete experience of these issues and of working with Europe’s most deprived.
To mark UN Day, MEP Sylvie Goulard, President of the Intergroup on “Extreme Poverty and Human Rights”, invites MePs to a special meeting on 15th October at 3pm in the European Parliament, Brussels, PHS 1A002
Programme of event:
Introduction: member of the intergroup bureau
Round table discussion: Leave no one behind: the failures and successes of the last 5 years and what the next 5 years must bring.
45 minutes Round Table discussion followed by 45 minutes of Q+A with the audience – Moderator: Sylvie Goulard, Intergroup President
– Jaime Muñoz Perez, ATD Fourth World delegate for Europe
– Elena Flores, Director (DG ECFIN), collaborates with ATD Fourth World
– Community member with direct experience of living in poverty
– Barbara Helfferich, Director, European Anti-Poverty Network
– Freek Spinnewijn, Director, FEANTSA
– Heather Roy, Secretary General, Eurodiaconia
– Jorge Nuno Mayer, Secretary General, Caritas Europa
In the presence of Valdis Dombrovskis, MEP, EPP Group, member of the Committee on Budgets,
Commissioner-designate for the Euro and Social Dialogue (tbc)
Brainstorming between MEPs and the Italian Presidency of the Council on the future of the 2020 strategy: how to combine competitiveness and inclusion? – Moderator: Sylvie Goulard, Intergroup President
– Silvia Costa, MEP, S&D, member of the Committee on Culture and Education, Intergroup Vice-President
– Jean Lambert, MEP, Green Group, member of the Employment & Social Affairs Committee, Intergroup VicePresident
– Veronica Lope-Fontagné, MEP, EPP Group, member of the Employment & Social Affairs Committee,
– Virginia Mucchi, Representative of the Italian presidency of the Council
Conclusions: member of the Intergroup Bureau
5.45pm Brief ceremony around the “17 October Human Rights & Poverty Stone” located in front of the European Parliament.